Friday, August 19, 2022

Featured Artist Series ~ August 19, 2022

Today we are featuring Patricia Hodgkins, a photographer, ceramic artist, and poet from Wellsville, NY. 



Crab Alfredo

It's the way I remember you in my bowl of crab alfredo

And sometimes even in my big toe

The way you remembered your mother in yours

Which is funny because we aren't even related

And I can picture us sitting there on a bench in the mall

Eating Auntie Anne's pretzel sticks with mustard and cheese 

I can picture the look you would have on your face when I told you "sometimes my big toe reminds me of you"

I can picture us laughing about it almost to the point of tears

Making a fool of ourselves without a care in the world

But what I can't remember is the sound of your laugh 

Because it's been so long since I've heard it

I used to see you still, driving around town, or walking in Giant, but not anymore

And I can't decide how to feel about that.

Part of me misses thinking, even for just a split second, that things are the way they should be

I get so angry at the fact that you were taken away from us

And I can't find a rhyme or a reason as to why you were

And that's because there isn't one

I think that's what makes the anger so hard to let go of

And, so, anger and sadness take turns wreaking havoc inside of me

I don't know how to not be angry at the world for you being gone

And I will never stop being sad about it

But I see you there between the flakes of imitation crab and the alfredo sauce 

And for those 10 minutes, it's almost like you're here again.

 

© Patricia Hodgkins

In memory of Shawntelle Kalkbrenner Santas 




We are looking forward to seeing more of Tricia's creative projects in the future. 

................................................................................................................................

ABOUT THIS CALL FOR LOCAL ART
Theme: "Celebrate the Little Things"
In addition to our 'Little Things" exhibit at the Belfast Public Library, we are now accepting digital submissions (a jpg photo file of your own artwork or word document of your poetry or your short written work) from Belfast, NY Area Artists for featured art on our fb cover page and blog. Featured Artists Posts will begin August 2022.
Send your entry to belfastorganizationforartists@gmail.com

Subject: Share my Art
Include:
Title, Media, Your Name, Bio., and a brief description of the work.

***Your digital submission of an image of your own original art serves as consent to show your work, with full credit to you, on the BOFA blog and FB page.***

BOFA reserves the right to select material and content appropriate for our pages and message.
Entries will be considered in the order they are received.


1 comment: